The importance of skittles.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Every Sunday at church I take care of about 10 children – ages range from 18 months to 3 years old. Each week I search for games to play, songs to sing, and crafts to distract them for 2 hours. Unfortunately, some of the children are not convinced their parents will come back for them, making them skeptical of everything I present. No matter how much work I put into a craft or how enthusiastic I am while singing a song, I cannot stop the tears from flowing.

I have a trick though that works almost every time… skittles. I know, I know, I am a dental hygienist, how could I right? But if you shake the bag just right… the children quiet down just enough to try to hear the sound and if you plays the cards perfect, one tiny skittle solves all of my problems.

This week a friend of mine wanted some family photos done before they took off on an adventure to Newfoundland for the summer. They have the sweetest little 15 month old boy. I am very excited to welcome him into my nursery when they come back in the fall.

Don’t be fooled by the sun shining, it was freezing outside. However, I am happy to say that my skittle trick worked! Except, as you can see, one skittle was not enough. He was too smart for me and I couldn’t get him to stop pointing at the bag…

Love, CAT








4 comments:

Lisa L April 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM  

Chloe we LOVE these...we already have some printed and up on our walls. Thanks again!

child of the universe April 26, 2011 at 1:54 PM  

you can bribe me with skittles any day.
i love what you're doing with the colour now. it's looking beautiful.

Sister Jackie Hudson Miller May 3, 2011 at 10:16 AM  

wow, so cute! what a wonderful surprise on a "blah" day here! Thank you Chloe, Love from little J's grandma :-)

Sister Jackie Hudson Miller May 3, 2011 at 10:16 AM  

...altho the "holding him up by the leg while kissing" photo is not grandma's favorite...haha

Post a Comment